This page was provided by Judy who provided the pages and Georgia who typed them.
Who has filled official positions in Blount County?
BLOUNT COUNTY lies between the
Tennessee River and the great Smoky Mountain,and south of Knox
County. It has an area of about 470 square miles, one-sixth of
which is mountain land. It is abundantly supplied with water and
water power. The principal stream is Little River, which receives
the waters of Crooked Creek, Pistol Creek, Nails Creek and
Ellejoy. In the southern and western portions of the county are
Abram, Nine Mile, Six Mile, Four Mile, Baker and Boyd Creeks. The
mineral resources are abundant. In addition to iron and marble,
silver and gold are found in paying quantities. The settlement of Blount County was begun in 1785.
The first fort or station was established by Robert McTEER. "It
stood about one and one-halfmiles south of Eusebia Church. It soon
became the nucleus of an excellent neighborhood of intelligent,
worthy, and patriotic citizens, emigrants principally from the
valley of Virginia, who brought with, and diffused around them,
Republicanism, religion, intelligence and thrift." Among those who
located in the vicinity were the BOGLES, McCROSKEYS, McCULLOCHS,
McGAUGHEYS, McMURRAYS, BOYDS, CUNNINGHAMS, MOORES, TIPTONS,
JEFFRIES, CUSICKS, and others. Numerous other forts and stations
were soon established in various parts of the county. Among
them were John CRAIG'S, situated on the present site of Maryville,
near where the depot now is; David CRAIG's,near Brick Mill;
HOUSTON's, about six miles south of Maryville; KELLY's, near
Rockford; KIRK's, on Little River, a few miles above KELLY's;
THOMAS', about three and one-half miles southeast of Maryville;
MARTIN's, at SANDERSON's Mill, on Nails Creek; HUNTER's, on Nine
Mile Creek; GAMBLE's, near where George SNYDER now lives; HENRY's,
on Little River; CALVIN's on Crooked Creek; BLACK's, at the head
of Crooked Creek; GILLESPIE's, south of Little River; and ISH's,
in the northwest part of the county, near the Tennessee River. For
several years the settlement suffered severely from Indian
depredations.The proximity of the mountains, which furnished safe
hiding places for the savages, made it necessary constantly to
guard the frontier, and many times compelled the inhabitants to
seek refuge in the strongest forts. It is
said that on one occasion, in April, 1793, no less than 280 men, women, and children were gathered together in CRAIG's fort, and there remained for several days in the greatest discomfort. To detail the instances of Indian outrage and aggression and the heroism of the brave pioneers, in their acts of defense and retaliation, however, would require a volume, and as the more signal instances are detailed elsewhere, they will not be repeated here. No section of Tennessee was settled by a more heroic, fearless and energetic people, and no county is richer in the splendid traditions and honorable achievements of its pioneers. The earliest settlers were mainly Scotch Presbyterians, and the first churches were organized by them. In 1786 Eusebia Church was organized in the McTEER neighborhood, it is thought by Hezekiah BALCH. A large log building was erected, and later a camp-ground was constructed near by. In 1792 or 1793 New Providence Church was organized in the vicinity of CRAIG's fort, now Maryville, by Rev. Gideon BLACKBURN, who also established Baker's Creek Church soon after. In 1796 the nucleus of a colony of Friends was formed near where Friendsville now is, by John HACKNEY, James MATTHEWS, James ALLEN and John WALKER. The next year William GRIFFITH located in the vicinity of Unitia, and Thomas JONES and William and Daniel DURHAM on Cloyd's Creek. The land in the vicinity of Louisville was obtained by Robert, John, and James GILLESPIE under the act of the Legislature to promote the erection of iron works. They built a small furnace and forge, which they ceased to operate as soon as they obtained a title to the land.
The erection of small tub mills was begun with the earliest settlement of the county. The first is said to have been built near McTEER's fort. After the organization of the county in 1795 and 1796, permits to erect mills were granted to the following persons: John CRAIG, on Pistol Creek; John WALKER, in Tuckaleechee Cove; Samuel THOMPSON, on Crooked Creek; Thomas GIBSON, on Gallaher's Creek,and James McNUTT, on Pistol Creek.
The raising of cotton being an important industry in the early history of the county, a large number of cotton-gins were erected. Those in operation in 1802 were owned by Thomas BERRY, James SCOTT, Samuel HOUSTON, William STANFIELD, William LOWRY, and Patrick COLLINS.
Blount County was established by an act of the Territorial Assembly, passed July 11, 1795. The court of pleas and quarter sessions was organizedon the second Monday in September, 1795, at the house of Abraham WEAVER. The justices present were William WALLACE, William LOWRY, James SCOTT, Oliver ALEXANDER, David CRAIG and George EWING. William WALLACE was chosen chairman. On the next day John TRIMBLE, Thomas McCULLOCH, and William HAMILTON produced commissions from Gov. BLOUNT and took their seats. John McKEE qualified as Clerk, Littlepage SIMS, as sheriff; William WALLACE, as register; Robert RHEA, as coroner; James GAILY, James BLAIR and Gray SIMS, as constables.The next term of the court was held at the house of John CRAIG. The grand jury empanelled consisted of James TEDFORD, foreman; Samuel McCULLOCH, Joseph McCONNELL, Samuel HOGG, John ALEXANDER, John COCHRAN, James KERR, Joseph McREYNOLDS, James GILLESPIE, James LOGAN, John HUKLIN, James CUMMINGS, John RIDER, John WEATHERSPOON and Robert WILSON. The first indictment was found against Daniel HUFF for assault.
The commissioners appointed to locate the county seat and superintend the erection of county buildings were William WALLACE, Joseph BLACK, Samuel GLAS, David CRAIG, John TRIMBLE, Alexander KELLY and Samuel HENRY. They selected fifty acres of land owned by John CRAIG, which was laid off into streets and lots, and in accordance with the legislative act named Maryville, in honor of Mary GRAINGER, the wife of Gov. William BLOUNT. For some reason the commission failed to provide a suitable courthouse, and in 1799 Andrew THOMPSON, Barclay McGHEE, William LOWRY, John COCHRAN and John WOODS were appointed to let the contract for such a building. These men also failed to complete the work, and in 1802 a new committee was appointed for that purpose. A log structure was at last completed, which was superseded about1820 by a
frame building. In April, 1838, Jesse THOMPSON, Andrew C. MONTGOMERY, Henry HANNUM, William TOOLE, Samuel PRIDE, Henry HAMILL and James TRUNDLE were appointed to superintend the erection of a new brick courthouse, which was completed the following year. This building was occupied until 1885, when it was destroyed by fire, and the present handsome brick structure erected at a cost of $12,000.00. The first jail was a log building and stood just back of the courthouse. About 1878 a new jail was completed upon the site of the present brick building, which was erected some time ago.
The circuit court for Blount County was organized February 5, 1810, by James TRIMBLE, who appointed Robert HOUSTON clerk. The chancery court was not organized until February 14, 1853, the business of this court having previously been transacted at Madisonville.
Among the first lawyers resident in the county were John LOWRY, Samuel GLASS, John WILKINSON, John GARNER and Enoch PARSONS. GLASS was a memberof the constitutional convention of 1796, and afterward was elected to the State Senate. John LOWRY was the first attorney-general of Hamilton District, and one of the leading lawyers of his time. Enoch PARSONS wasa prominent attorney, but became more conspicuous through his candidacy for the office of governor, in 1819, against Joseph McMINN. He was defeated by a large majority and soon after removed to Alabama. Among the lawyers of a later date were John S. McNUTT, S. T. BICKNELL (who represented the county in the Legislature for several years), Joseph W. LEMONS, J. H. PARSONS, S. J. McREYNOLDS (who served for two years as county judge), Jesse G. WALLACE, W. D. McGINLEY, and John E. TOOLE. WALLACE began practice about 1845 and continued to reside at Maryville until the Civil War. He then cast his lot with the Confederacy, and, at the close of hostilities, he removed to Franklin, Tenn., where he still resides. Mr. TOOLE also entered the profession about 1845, and soon won a high reputation as an advocate. He was not a scholarly man, nor a well-read lawyer, but he won his position by indomitable energy and great tenacity of purpose. Upon the breaking out of the war he was made provost-marshal by the Confederate States Government, and after the Federal occupation of East Tennessee, he went South and never returned. W. D. McGINLEY continued to practice at Maryville until his death in 1881. He was an excellent advocate before a jury, but was somewhat too unsystematic to achieve the highest success in chancery practice. The present bar of Blount County is one of more than average ability. The members are as follows: C. T. CATES, Sr., S. P. ROWAN, M. L. McCONNELL, Will A. McTEER, Thomas N. BROWN, G. S. W. McCAMPBELL, and C. T. CATES, Jr.
As has been stated, Maryville was laid out in 1795.The first merchants were John and Josiah NICHOL, LOWRY & WAUGH, and KING & MONTGOMERY. They were succeeded by James & Ignatius WILSON, James & William W. BERRY, C. & J. H. GILLESPIE, J. J. WALKER and WALLACE & JACOBS. During the ten or fifteen years previous to the war, the leading businessmen were BICKNELL & WALLACE, James M. TOOLE & CO., COFFIN & WILSON, A. M. &J. G. WALLACE, BROBSON & TOOLE, William McTEER & CO., W. H. ANDERSON & CO., and J. C. FAGG & CO.
Among other early settlers of Maryville were Samuel LOVE, a hatter andhotel-keeper; James TURK, a saddler; Samuel HOUSTON, a blacksmith;_CALDWELL,a tailor; Alexander McGHEE and Edward GAUNT, physicians; Jesse WALLACEand James GARNER, hotel keepers; John WOODS and John MONTGOMERY, milers;and Gideon BLACKBURN, minister.
The first newspaper in Maryville was the Intelligeneer, established in 1837 by F. A. PARHAM. The next year, Montgomery McTEER began the publicationof a bi-monthly paper devoted to agricultural arts and domestic economy. It was known as the American Journal of Productive Industry. During the same year the Temperance Banner was established. As its name implies, it was devoted to the cause of temperance. None of these papers was published but for a short time. In November, 1853, the Blount County Advocate was founded by W. P. COLLINS, and, in May, 1855, James E. SWAN began the publication of the East Tennessean. The newspapers published since the war have been the Maryville Republican, begun in October, 1867, by R. C. TUCKER; the Soldier's Gazette, established in December, 1869, by M. L. McCONNELL; the Blount County
Standard, established in December, 1877; the Maryville Index, the publication of which was begun in 1878 by J. A. SILSBY; the Blount County Democrat, established in May, 1879, by R. N. HOOD; the Maryville Watchman, established in March, 1882, by Will A. McTEER; the East Tennessee News, published by J. T. ANDERSON & Co.; the Maryville Times, published since 1884 by A. J. NEFF & SON; and To Day's News, recently established by the News Publishing Company.
As an educational center Maryville has long been prominent. In 1806 the Legislature, under the act establishing county academies, appointed Gideon BLACKBURN, John MONTGOMERY, John LOWRY (merchant), Joseph B. LAPSLEY, and Andrew KENNEDY trustees for Porter Academy in Blount County, to whom were afterward added James GILLESPIE, JR., John LOWRY (attorney), James HOUSTON, Sr., Alexander McGHEE, James TURK, and Thomas HENDERSON. In 1813 provision was made for a female department, and a separate board of trustees were appointed for it. The first schools in Maryville were taught in a log building, standing near the Spring in the western part of town. Among the teachers were P. SMITH and Rev. Mr. MOORE, a Methodist minister. About1819 or 1820 a log building, which was afterward weather-boarded, was erected on a lot in front of the present college grounds. It was occupied by the academy for many years. Since the war the institution has been removed to a place near the old Logan Chapel campground, about seven miles north-east of Maryville.
Maryville College is one of the oldest
and most highly esteemed educational institutions in Tennessee. It
was founded by Rev. Isaac ANDERSON, who, near the beginning of the
present century, came with his father's family from Virginia, and
located in Knox County. He entered the ministry and soon
became known as an eloquent and effective speaker and a bold and
original thinker. He was a Presbyterian, and adopted the peculiar
doctrines known as "Hopkinsianism," which led to the division of
the church into the old and new school. Recognizing the need of
this section for a greater number of educated ministers, in 1819
he presented to the Synod of Tennessee, then
in session at Maryville, a plan for the organization of a theological school, which was adopted, and the institution was established as the Southern and Western Theological Seminary, a name that it bore until 1842, when it was incorporated by the Legislature as Maryville College. Dr. ANDERSON became the first president and continued in that position until his death on January 28, 1857. He was succeeded by Rev. John J. ROBINSON. The following year the control of the institution was transferred to the United Synod of the Presbyterians in the United States of America, on condition that the property revert to the Synod of Tennessee should the United Synod cease to exist.
In forty years, from 1819 to 1861, the institution educated and trained 150 men for the gospel ministry, while of the several hundred alumni sent out, very many entered the other learned professions, and not a few of them attained to eminence and distinction. The endowment fund gathered little by little, through all those years, amounted to only $16,000. During the war the work of the college was suspended for five years; the faculty was broken up; the library was badly damaged; the college buildings were destroyed; two-thirds of the endowment funds were lost; in short the college was in ruins, not worth in funds and real estate more than $7,000. Under these circumstances some of the best and oldest friends of the college thought it dead to live no more. But the Synod of Tennessee met in the fall of 1865 and resumed organic relations with the old General Assembly, and feeling that it could not hold its ground and extend its influence with Maryville College, it was resolved to revive it. The only professor remaining, G. S. W. CRAWFORD, was ordered to reopen the college for instruction as soon as practicable. This was done on the 5th of September, 1866, with an attendance of thirteen students. In less than three years two more professors were added to the faculty, and there was a large increase of students. New grounds and new buildings became a necessity, and to secure them, an appeal was made to the friends of Christian learning in the North with the following results: a beautiful campus of 250 acres, a professor's house costing $3,000, a college building costing $23,000 and two handsome dormitories costing $12,000 each. An endowment fund soon became a necessity, and in 1880 Prof. T. J. LAMAR was appointed as an agent to secure one
if possible. In this he was successful, and by December 31, 1883, $100,000 had been raised--$30,000 came from New York City and Brooklyn, $30,000 from Pittsburgh, $25,000 from Dayton, Ohio, $10,000 from Auburn, N. Y., and $5,000 from East Tennessee.
The faculty of the college consists of a president, six professors and three assistant teachers.
In 1850 the East Tennessee Masonic Female Institute was organized and put into operation in the brick building now occupied by the public schools. The trustees were Samuel PRIDE, S. T. BICKNELL, J. M. TOOLE, J. W. DAVIS, B. D. BROBSON, J. E. TOOLE, J. A. McKAMY and George BROWN. Fielding POPE was elected president, and Mary S. TOWNE, Mary J. LOVE, and J. J. CATES assistants. The institution was conducted under the auspices of the Masonic fraternity until the beginning of the civil war, but was not reorganized after its close.
About 1873, a normal school, designed for the training of destitute students from the mountain districts, was established by Dr. J. D. GARNER. In 1878 the property known as the Dr. PRIDE residence was purchased with funds furnished by a few wealthy friends of Philadelphia, who became members of the board of trustees, and the school was conducted under the direction of Dr. GARNER until 1884, when a new board obtained control of the property under a three-year's lease. The original design of the institution has been abandoned, and it is now conducted as a sort of preparatory or intermediate school. In 1871 W. P. HASTINGS, a member of the Society of Friends, organized a school for Freedmen, in the old Zion Church; it was composed of a motley crowd of children and adults desirous of learning to read. The accommodations of the school were very inadequate, and Mr. Yardley WARNER, working under the auspices of the Indiana yearly meeting, began the soliciting of funds to aid in the erection of a suitable building. In this he was successful, the work was begun in 1872, and the building ready for occupancy on January 1, 1874. The institution has since been conducted as a training school for colored teachers, and has been one of the most successful schools of the kind in the State. It has an average attendance of about 175. The property is valued at over $20,000, and an endowment fund of $25,000 has been provided for the aid of students. Since 1878 it has been under the care of the New England yearly meeting, but Mr. HASTINGS has continued as president.
Maryville is equally as well supplied with churches as with schools. As is stated elsewhere, the Presbyterians had organized a church before the town was established. They held services in a log house until about 1812, when a substantial stone building was erected. It was occupied until about 1855, when the present brick church was built. A Methodist church was organized near the beginning of the present century, and for many years occupied a house situated just north of the town. The present building occupied by the Methodist Episcopal Church South, was built some time in the fifties. After the close of the war the members of the Methodist Episcopal Church erected a house of worship, and in 1872 the Friends completed a similar work. Recently the Baptists have also erected a church.
In ____ the Knoxville & Augusta Railroad was completed to Maryville,which has since been its southern terminus. It has added greatly to the growth and importance of the town, which is now one of the most prosperous in the State. The manufacturing establishments consist of two woolen-mills, operated by W. T. PARHAM, HANNAH & SON, respectively; grist-mills, by Elijah WALKER, HACKNEY & CHAPMAN, and W. T. PARHAM; saw mills, by J. L. HACKNEY & Son and D. JONES; sash and blind factories by BOYD & HUFF, STETLER, and B. F. WILLARD, and a machine shop by COWAN & SUMMERS. The mercantile interests are represented by the following firms, CONNING & JONES, A. K. HARPER, L. J. MAGILL, and COOPER & BITTLE, dry goods; William NEWBY, William SHARP, G. A. TOOLE, WATKINS & DAVIS, G. B. ROSS and V. CUMMINGS & Bro., groceries; O. D. LLOYD, groceries and hardware; J. A. GREER & Co., hardware and implements; C.PFLANZE and George A. BROWN, furniture; TEDFORD & LOWE, drugs; W. A. WALKER, books and stationery, and R. S. CATHCART, harness.
In 1882 the Farmer's Bank was incorporated with R. N. WOOD as president, and
Joseph BURGER as cashier. In 1885 it was succeeded by the Bank of Maryville, with a capital stock of $50,000. The officers are P. M. BARTLETT, president; W. T. PARHAM, vice-president, and Joseph BURGER, cashier. Maryville was incorporated by an act of the General Assembly, passed January 7, 1850.The first mayor was Samuel PRIDE, and the aldermen, J. C. FAGG, William McTEER, J. E. TOOLE, S. T. BICKNELL, Andrew McCLAIN, and R. L. CATES. After the passage of the "Four Mile" law, the charter was surrendered, and the town is not incorporated.
The principal villages of the county are Friendsville, Louisville, and Rockford. Friendsville, as its name indicates, is a village settled principally by the Friends. It is built upon land formerly owned by Thomas HACKNEY, and the first flouring-mill in the county is said to have been erected there by Thomas and John HACKNEY. It is still in operation and owned by William R. and Elias JONES and James F. BEALS. The first store was opened by David MORGAN, who, in 1855, established the Friendsville Academy. This has been an educational institute of considerable note, and in 1880 it was incorporated.
Louisville is situated on the Tennessee River, and in the palmiest days of steamboat navigation was a place of much importance. One of the first merchants, if not the first, was Nathaniel COX, who was in business previous to 1822. WILSON & SAFFLE began selling goods at a little later date. The firms engaged in business in 1850 were FOSTER & PEARCE, George S. GILBERT & Son, COX & Bro., STEEL, EAGLETON, & Co., and John EVERETT. L. C. HOUK, the present congressman from the Second District, was also a resident of the town at that time. Although the town has lost much of its old-time importance since the introduction of railroad traffic, it is still a flourishing village.
Rockford is situated on the Knoxville & Augusta Railroad and on Little River. It is a small village which grew up around a cotton factory established there about 1840.
The following persons have filled official positions in Blount County:
Littlepage SIMS 1795-96
Joseph COLVILLE 1796-1800
William BURK 1800-02
Joseph COLVILLE 1802-04
William LACKEY 1804-06
Samuel COWAN 1806-14
David RUSSELL 1814-16
Charles DONAHOO 1816-20
William WALLACE 1820-42
Calvin D. ANDERSON 1842-48
James M. HENRY 1848-54
Cambell GILLESPIE 1854-58
W. L. HUTTON 1858-62
William H. FINLEY 1862-64
Moses GAMBLE 1864-66
M. L. McCONNELL 1866-68
John D. ALEXANDER 1868-72
J. P. EDMONDSON 1872-76
R. P. McREYNOLDS 1876-78
A. M. RULE 1878-82
M. H. EDMONDSON 1882
Clerks of the County Court
John McKEE 1795-96
James HOUSTON 1796-1818
Jacob F. FOUTE 1818-33
Nathaniel REAGAN 1833-40
Jeremiah KENNON 1840-44
William LOWRY 1844-48
Robert A. TEDFORD 1848-53
Spencer HENRY 1853-54
J.C. McCOY 1854-62
W. L. DEARING 1862-66
R. C. TUCKER 1866-71
T. D. EDINGTON 1871-72
J. A. GREER 1872-79
Benjamin CUNNINGHAM 1879
Clerks of the Circuit Court
Robert HOUSTON 1810-14
Jesse BEENE 1814-20
Azariah SHELTON 1820-22
D. D. FOUTE 1822-36
A. HENRY 1836-40
D.D. FOUTE 1840-48
William A. WALKER 1848-62
James A. HOUSTON 1862-64
Montgomery McTEER 1864-68
Will A. McTEER 1868-78
W. C. CHUMLEA 1878
William WALLACE 1795-99
J. WALLACE 1799-1820
James M. ANDERSON 1836-40
Andrew McCLAIN 1840-
Ralph E. TEDFORD 1864-68
T. F. WALLACE 1868-74
J. C. HUTTON 1874-78
J. N. BADGETT 1878-
John McKEE 1795-96
David EAGLETON 1796-1802
John LOWRY(merchant) 1802-16
Samuel LOVE 1816-20
Jesse THOMPSON 1820-36
R. L. CATES 1836-46
William McTEER 1846-52
R. E. TELFORD 1852-58
D. N. BROYLES 1858-62
F. M. HOOD 1862-66
Eli NUNN 1866-72
Daniel BROYLES 1872-74
J. W. EAKIN 1874-78
J. A. GODDARD 1878-86
A. M. RULE 1886
Clerks and Masters
Samuel PRIDE 1853-62
William A. WALKER 1848-62
William PICKENS 1864-67
Elias GODDARD 1867-83
J. A. GREER 1883
J. T. GAMBLE 1883-85
J. A. GREER 1885
P. M. BARTLETT, President of the Maryville College and Bank of Maryville, was born in Connecticut in 1820 and graduated at Williams College, Massachusetts, in 1850, and at Union Theological Seminary, New York City, in 1853. He then at once began the ministry in Ohio, acting as agent for the American Tract Society, four years, after which, he returned to New York State and continued preaching until the commencement of the late war, and then served as chaplain of the First New York Mounted Infantry, two years. He then went to Massachusetts, and soon after located in Connecticut, where he remained until 1869, when he accepted the presidency of Maryville College. The ancestors of our subject came from England to Plymouth, Mass., in 1623. The parents, Isaiah and Mariam (MASON) BARTLETT, were natives of Massachusetts and Connecticut, were married in Ohio, and followed farming until their respective deaths in 1867 and 1869. Our subject, three brothers, and two sisters are the survivors of a family of nine children. Mrs. BARTLETT, nee Miss Florence M. ALDEN, is a direct descendant of John Alden, of "Mayflower" fame, and a granddaughter of Gov. Lumpkin, of Georgia. She is a graduate of Yale and a highly accomplished lady.
M. L. BYERLEY, farmer, was born October 25, 1831, in Knox County, where he remained but two years, when his parents moved to Blount County. In 1876 our subject moved to Knox County, but in the spring of 1887 he moved to his present location in the Tenth District Blount County. He had good common school advantages, and began for himself, a poor man. He now owns 146 acres of splendid land on the Maryville & Louisville Road, six miles northwest of the former place. He is the eldest of ten children of Isaac and Mary (HOBBS) BYERLEY, and born in South Carolina. When about eight years old, his father moved to Blount County, settling on Boyd Creek. Mrs. BYERLEY was born and reared in Virginia, coming to Blount County in 1825. Isaac began as a poor man, and by his ability soon became wealthy, but the actions of other parties caused him to fail. The father and mother were of German and English descent. The grandfather, Jasper BYERLEY, came to America before the Revolution, in which war he was a soldier, and lived to be one hundred and ten years old. Our subject married Rachel C., daughterof Bill and Elizabeth (SWAN) CLARK. Their children were Mary Elizabeth and Sarah Frances, deceased; Emma, afterward Mrs. STRANGE; Ida, afterward Mrs. JOHNSON; DON CHARLES, ISAAC C., EDGAR E. Myrtle, James, and Marcus L. Mr. BYERLEY is a Methodist. He is a Republican, first voted for Scott, and is an industrious and successful man.
M. H. COCHRAN was born October 17, 1831, on the farm where he has since resided. He is the ninth of twelve children of James and Mary (REED) COCHRAN. James COCHRAN was born and raised near Morganton, N. C., and when grown came to Tennessee,
settling in Blount County. He followed farming, at which he was quite successful. His father, Paul COCHRAN, was born and raised in Ireland and came to America about the year 1785, settling first in North Carolina. He was a weaver by trade. Mrs. James COCHRAN was born in an Indian fort, situated on the "Bowman Lands", near the Big Tennessee, and was raised in this county, where she died. Her mother, nee Ann MOORE, was born and raised in Pennsylvania, and when a young woman came to Blount County, Tenn. Her husband, Samuel REED, was also born and raised in Pennsylvania, and came to Tennessee about the time Miss Ann MOORE did. M.H. COCHRAN received a good common-school education and has improved his early education considerably by reading and observation. When twenty years old he was thrown upon his own resources, with some property inherited from his father, but by his industry and good management has added considerably to what he inherited. He now owns a good farm of 500 acres well improved and located on the headwaters of Cloyd Creek, ten miles southwest of Maryville. Mr. COCHRAN is now making his home with his sister. He and his sister are members of the United Presbyterian Church. Mr. COCHRAN has been a ruling elder in the church fifteen years. He is Republican in politics and cast his first presidential ballot for Winfield Scott.
G. S. W. CRAWFORD, professor of mathematics in Maryville College, was born in Knox County, Tenn., August 20, 1849. He was reared on a farm and graduated from the college of which he is now professor, in 1871. He studied at Union Theological Seminary, New York, two years, and at Lane Theological Seminary, Cincinnati, one year, and has since filled his present chair of mathematics, excepting from June 30, 1882, until in March, 1883, when he was superintendent of public instruction, during which time he still held his professorship. He is a director of the Bank of Maryville. On July 23, 1874, he married Jennie DUNCAN, a native of Blount County. They have three sons and two daughters. Hugh F., the father, was born in 1806, in Knox County, on the farm settled by the grandfather, Samuel, who was born June 2, 1758. Samuel located then in Grassy Valley, in 1790, the first settlement in that vicinity, and he assisted in building the first residence house in Knoxville. He was in the Revolution with Washington and took part in the Indian war. He died on the old farm May 14, 1822. His wife, Nancy (FORGEY), was born in Hawkins County, August 13, 1768. She was married in 1788, and her death occurred March 13, 1837. Hugh F., one of four sons and three daughters, was also a farmer, and married Rebecca FORGEY, a native of Hawkins County. They lived at the old home until their deaths, in 1885 and 1878 respectively. Our subject is the tenth child of four sons and eight daughters, three of the former and three of the latter still living. Mr. CRAWFORD'S family are Presbyterians.
M. H. EDMONDSON, Sheriff of Blount County, was born in this county, in 1849. He was reared on a farm and educated at Friendsville, this county. He followed agricultural pursuits until appointed deputy sheriff by R. B. McREYNOLDS in 1876. In 1882 he was elected to his present office and is now serving his third term. In 1879 he married S. E. COKER, a native of Knox County. Of their seven children, four sons and one daughter are living. His father, John, is a native of this county, and has always followed farming in the Sixth District. The mother, Margaret (DUNLAP), also of this county, died in 1884. Our subject is the fifth child of four sons and two daughters, the two latter being both deceased. At the beginning of the war, our subject's brothers went to Illinois and joined the Ninety-eighth Illinois Mounted Infantry, with which J. P. EDMONDSON served until the close, and then returned home and made up a company, of which he became captain, for Gov. BROWNLOW'S militia. J. C. and W. H. EDMONDSON were discharged after about a year's service, and the former came home and assisted in organizing a company, of which he was elected first lieutenant. The great-grandfather of our subject came from Scotland, and our subject's father, William, came from Virginia and afterward moved to East Tennessee, where he died in Blount County.
J. C. ENGEL, the genial, accommodating, and popular proprietor of Montvale Springs, the beautiful and justly famed health resort of the South, is a native of Maryland and of English origin. He was reared on a farm, and in 1874 married a Miss BOSTAIN, also a
native of Maryland. Soon after
marriage they moved to Baltimore, where they resided until the
spring of 1882, when they took charge of their above-mentioned
property. It was in 1835 that the Springs attracted
attention by the numbers of deer which gathered to use the water.
In 1850 Asa WATSON came from Mississippi to Knoxville badly
afflicted with liver and kidney trouble, and drove out to see the
medicinal waters, which he used, and was so satisfied that he
bought them and erected the main buildings. In a few years he sold
to LANIER Bros. & WATT, who kept it until the beginning of the
war, then sold it to Joseph L. KING, but since 1882 our subject
has been adding to its attractiveness continually. The Montvale
property consists of 4,800 acres, nine miles south of Maryville,
in the Chilhowee Mountain Range. The main building, of two stories
and seven gables, contains 125 rooms, and about forty cottages
also are enclosed in a beautiful lawn of twenty acres, on which
are growing sixty rare trees from Japan, California, etc.
Mr. ENGEL has a competent gardener and a four-acre garden, in
which he grows all his own vegetables. Two fine springs are
within a few yards of the hotel, and almost a mile of pipe conveys
pure freestone water from the top of the Chilhowee
Mountains. He also owns 400 acres on the Maryville road,
three miles distant, including the Black Sulphur Springs, whose
water he keeps on draught at the hotel. View Rock, on the top of
the mountain, affords a rare view, unequaled by few points in the
United States. Maryville can be seen, and Knoxville also, by
using the glass. He accommodates from 300 to 500 during the
season. He has recently opened two silver mines on the south
side of Chilhowee, which promises well. One pint of the
Montvale Springs water contains the following constituents:
Ferrous carbonate, 0.300grains; calcium carbonate, 1.657 grains;
sodium chloride, 0.245 grains; magnesium chloride, traces; calcium
chloride, traces; sodium sulphate,0.564 grains; magnesium
sulphate, 1.500 grains; calcium sulphate, 9.276; ferric oxide,
Hon. A. M. GAMBLE is the representative from Blount County. He was born in 1838 and reared on a farm and educated at Maryville. He taught school in his younger days, then at the commencement of the war enlisted in the Sixth Tennessee Infantry (Union), being afterward given command of a company, and was then steadily promoted to major-general, which rank he held till the close. He then resumed school teaching, which he has since continued in connection with farming. He was elected county superintendent of public instruction in 1882, serving four years, and in 1886 was elected member of the House of Representatives from his native county. His residence is in the Fourteenth Civil District of Blount County, where he has a farm of eighty acres. In 1866 he married Eudora COWAN, a native of the county and daughter of George W. and Mary COWAN. To this marriage three sons and five daughters have been born, one son now deceased. Josias GAMBLE, the grandfather of our subject, was born in Ireland in 1747, and afterward came to America, locating near Philadelphia, where he married. During the Revolutionary War he came to Blount County and settled the farm where our subject was afterward born. The grandfather resided in this section till his death in 1812. Alexander B., the father, was born in 1784, and married Elizabeth RANSBARGER, a native of Virginia, whose parents located here in the early settlement of Blount County, the father being for thirty-six years justice of the peace. His death occurred in 1867 and the mother's in 1866. A. M. GAMBLE is the youngest of five sons and five daughters, and he, two brothers, and two sisters are the surviving members of the family. Moses A., a brother of our subject, was in the terrible "Sultana disaster".
J. T. HANNA, proprietor of the Anchor Woolen Mills, Maryville, Tenn., was born in Jefferson County, Ind., in 1825, and reared in South Hanover, Ind. When fifteen years old he went to Pittsburg, Ind., where he learned his trade, and then started a woolen mill at Rochester, Ind. He left thereafter eighteen years, and engaged in the same business at Kankakee, Ill., for ten years. In 1875 he came to Maryville, Tenn., and under the firm name of HANNA & WATKINS began operating woolen and carding mills at the site of the Maryville Woolen Mills, and so continued until 1880, when he built his present mills. He is now manufacturing a line of general woolen goods and consuming about 50,000 pounds of wool annually. His wife, Philora (TRUE), is a native of Indiana; she was born at Indian-
apolis, Ind. They have two sons and two daughters. His father, Samuel HANNA, was born in Cumberland County, Penn., in May, 1777, and married Elizabeth WHITE, a native of the same place. He then moved to Ohio, and from there to Jefferson County, Ind. He afterward moved to Logansport, Ind., and laid out the HANNA addition to the town. He died there in 1840; the mother died at Kankakee, Ill., in 1872. Our subject is the fourth child of five sons and three daughters, two brothers and one sister of whom are living.
Capt. W. Y. C. HANNUM was born in Blount County in 1841, and reared on a farm. At the commencement of the war he was attending the Virginia Military Institute. He enlisted in the Forty-eighth Virginia Infantry, of which he was elected First Lieutenant of Company B, at the organization, was afterward made Captain, and served with that rank until wounded at Cedar Mountain in August, 1862. He remained in Virginia a few months, then returned home and afterward resigned, and has since the war followed farming at his present home adjoining Maryville, consisting of 280 acres of well improved land. In 1870 he married Lotta MERRITT, a native of Todd County, Ky., to whom three sons and three daughters have been born, one son and one daughter now deceased. The father of Capt. HANNUM, Dr. HenryHANNUM, was a son of Richard HANNUM. Dr. HANNUM was a native of Pennsylvania, was reared in Kentucky, and married Ann Elizabeth WHITE, of Abingdon, Va.,where he remained a few years; then moved to Florida and lived five years;then returned and began the practice of medicine at Russellville, Ky.,but in 1834 located in Maryville, and died in 1845. The mother of our subject afterward married Rev. Fielding POPE, of Maryville, and died in 1883, in her seventy-third year. Our subject is the fifth of three sons and three daughters, all living except one sister. The maternal grandparents, Col. James and Elizabeth (WILSON) WHITE, were prominent citizens of Washington County, Va.
A. K. HARPER is the leading merchant of Blount County and was reared on a farm in Knox County, where he was born in 1853. He remained at home until sixteen or seventeen years old, then accepted a clerkship with G. L. POWELL, of Knoxville, eight years; then came to Maryville and conducted a general mercantile trade for H. L. BRADLEY & Co., three years, then purchased the stock of goods and has since conducted a lucrative business. His trade is rapidly increasing and, including the grain trade, amounts annually to nearly $75,000. In 1875 he married Jennie WALKER, a native of Knox County, to whom one son, Eddie F., was born. Mrs. HARPER, nee WALKER, died in 1876. In 1882 our subject married Dora REAGAN, a native of Monroe County, to whom three children have been born. A. K., the subject of this sketch, is the first-born of four sons and two daughters of James and Elizabeth (KNOTT) HARPER. The father was born in Knox County, and still resides there. His parents came to that county from Virginia.
Mrs. S. M. HENRY, widow of the late J. F. HENRY, was born in 1813 in Sevier County, Tenn., where she was reared. She is the second of nine children of Allen and Elizabeth (McSPADDEN) BRYAN. Her father had five children by a former wife, Elizabeth HUBBARD. He represented Sevier County several years and was a prominent farmer and citizen. Our subject's mother was born of Irish stock, while her husband had Scotch blood mixed with the same origin. Mrs. HENRY was married in 1831. MR. HENRY was a son of Samuel and Elizabeth HENRY, the former a prominent farmer and citizen of Blount County, born in Virginia, but a resident of Tennessee since childhood. Both were of Irish origin. Our subject's husband was a self-made man, educated by reading and study at home. He began for himself when of age, and at twenty-two married and engaged at Louisville in merchandising for seventeen years. He then purchased and moved to a farm north of Knoxville, and lived there five years, when he moved back to Mrs. HENRY's present home. He was State senator from the Blount County District from 1843 to 1850, and from the Knox County District from 1851 to 1852. He was candidate for re-election when sickness compelled him to resign. He made a splendid record as president of the Senate, one term, and was reported to be a natural politician and one of the best financiers in Tennessee, as was evidenced by his ease in gaining wealth and his invariable success. He was a remarkable reader and close student. Their only child is Elizabeth
J., formerly Mrs. JACKSON, but after her husband's death, about 1862, became Mrs. Dr. J. A. BOND. Mrs. HENRY, now seventy-three years old, has been a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church South, since her sixteenth year. Her husband was a professed Christian but a member of no denomination. He died October 26, 1884. He was an able major in the State militia for many years.
Capt. W. H. HENRY was born in Blount County, in 1841, and reared on a farm until about fifteen years old. He then attended and graduated from Maryville College and afterward studied law at Macon, Ga., a short time. September 20, 1862, he enlisted in John P. McCOWAN's body guard, and after McCOWAN's arrest and trial by BRAGG at Murfreesboro, became attached to the Fourth Tennessee Cavalry, Company L, of which he was made Second Lieutenant, after the fall of Capt. J. J. PARTON at Chickamauga, and afterward made captain. In August, 1864, he became paralyzed from exposure, retired for active service, but was still with his company at the surrender, in North Carolina. He returned home and farmed one year, and then taught school two or three years, but afterward resumed farming. In 1875-76 he was superintendent of public instruction in Blount County, and elected justice of the peace, in 1882, by a large majority, his district being largely Republican, and he a Democrat. His home is in Maryville, but his farm of 140 acres is one mile and a half from Maryville. In 1866 he married Martha E., daughter of ex-Senator David W. TEDFORD. Of two sons and four daughters, one ofthe former and two of the latter are living, and the entire family are members of the Presbyterian Church. Samuel HENRY, the great-grandfather, was born in Virginia, and built the first grist-mill south of Maryville in this county. In connection with his milling he farmed a 640 acres entry on Little Baker Creek, and donated sixteen acres now occupied by the Baker Creek Presbyterian Church, and on which he was afterward buried. The grandfather, William W., was a farmer, and lived in East Tennessee until the war, when he moved to Bell County, Tex., and died in 1864. The father, James M., also born and reared in Blount County, followed school teaching in his younger days. In 1839 he married Ann HUTTON. He followed farming, and also teaming to and from Georgia, Alabama and South Carolina, before the days of railroads. He died in 1875. He was sheriff of Blount County from 1848 to 1854 and was justice at the time of his death. He was Captain of Company L, Second Tennessee Federal Cavalry, after Burnside entered East Tennessee in 1863, until the close of the war. The mother died in 1882. Our subject and his brother, J. N., residents of the old home-place, which has never passed out of the family's hands, are the survivors of six children, of whom four were sisters. The captain is the eldest, and for twenty-three years has been a great sufferer, at times, from hemiplegia, or paralysis, of the left side. Our subject and his father differed upon the questions involved in the war, and each showed his faith by his works, and yet the father's house was always the home of the son. A remarkable coincidence is that at the close of the war, each one commanded Company L in his respective regiment, not having heard from the other for two years.
John H. HOWARD was born in Monroe County, in 1849, and reared on the farm until twenty-four years of age. He then married Dicey, daughter of Boyd McMURRAY, and a native of Blount County. They have one son and four daughters. He located on his present farm of 1,200 acres in 1873, and devotes most of his attention to stock growing. His grandfather, George HOWARD, was born, reared, and married in South Carolina, and about 1818 came to Blount County and located on Nine Mile Creek, where he farmed and also operated a tanyard until his death. Walter W., the father, was born in North Carolina in 1814, and lived with his parents until thirty-five years of age. He then married Martha HARDIN, also a native of North Carolina, and settled in Monroe County, across the Little Tennessee. After about ten or twelve years he returned to where he was reared, and after the war, moved to Bradley County. In 1877 he went to Polk County, his present home. The mother died in 1866, and the father afterward married Minerva SMITH, who still lives. Of four sons and one daughter by the first marriage, three brothers survive.
David JONES was born in Wales, in 1834, and came to America in 1857, locating in Madison County, N. Y. He followed the stone and brick mason's trade for seven years,
and then moved to Portage County, Ohio, where he continued his trade three years. In 1867 he came to Maryville, still engaged in his trade in connection with farming. He bought Mount Nebo Springs in 1882, but sold them again in 1887. In the spring of 1885 he began operating a steam sawmill and also began the manufacture of brick, his present business. In January, 1866, he married Mary J. EVANS, a native of New York but reared in Ohio. Of their three daughters, one is deceased. The parents, Edward and Elizabeth (JONES) JONES, were natives of Wales, where they were married, lived on a farm, and died in 1863 and 1853 respectively. Our subject is the fifth child of eight sons and one daughter. Two brothers are deceased. Evan, a brother, is a Mason in Cleveland, Ohio.
T. W. KELLER, marble quarry-man and farmer in Blount County, resides in Knoxville and was born July 28, 1852, in Knox County. He received his education at Ewing and Jefferson College, graduating in 1869. He was thrown upon his own resources when eighteen, and first accepted the position of general agent and salesman for all kinds of agricultural implements, in East Tennessee. After four years, he began merchandising at Louisville, superintending the farm at the same time. With the exception of a farm from his wife’s property, he has accumulated by his own efforts all he has. On April 1, 1873, he married LAURA, a daughter of J. W. and M. J. LACKEY. Their children are ERNEST RUSSELL, MARY M., LENA L., MAUD, and R. HOWARD. He and his wife are members of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, of which he has been ruling elder for twelve years. He is a Democrat, first voting for Tilden. He is a Master Mason and also an Odd Fellow. He is the sixth of seven children of Frank F. and Mary A. (CROZIER) KELLER, the former born in Tuscumbia, Ala., and the latter in Knoxville. The father was a success as a farmer, of Scotch-Irish descent. Capt. CROZIER, the maternal grandfather, was born in Ireland and came to Knoxville when a young man.The KELLER family are distantly related to ROBERT BRUCE of Scotland and are related to GEN. ROBERT E. LEE. Our subject is interested in extensive quarries, in Knox and Blount Counties, and is a highly esteemed and respected man.
Mrs. M. J. LACKEY, widow of the late J. W. LACKEY, was born in 1827, in Blount County. She is the fourth of eight children of JOHN and ANN (GILLISPIE) RUSSELL. She married J. W. LACKEY in 1849. He was a son of JAMES and JANE LACKEY, who were born and raised in Roane County, Tenn. JAMES LACKEY was a soldier in the war of 1812. He was a justice of the peace many years and gave universal satisfaction. J. W. LACKEY received a collegiate education. When twenty-three years old, he was thrown upon his own resources, a poor man, and what he was worth at his death was accumulated by his own energy and practical business ability. At his death, besides having given considerable land to each of his children, he owned a fine farm of 400 acres, under a good state of cultivation, and located on the Tennessee River, eleven miles west of Maryville. MR. LACKEY was a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, till his death, as is also MRS. LACKEY, who is still a member of the same church. To MR. & MRS. LACKEY nine children were born: JOHN RUSSELL (deceased), JAMES MONROE (deceased), LAURA (now MRS. T. W. KELLER), WILLIAM (deceased), JANE (now MRS. A. C. MONTGOMERY), ANNIE (deceased), one deceased in infancy, MATILDA M., (now MRS. O. B. PRATER), and SAMUEL A. MR. LACKEY died in 1879, since which time MRS. LACKEY has managed the affairs of her farm, and lived with her children. MRS. LACKEY has given her children the advantages of a good education. One of her sons, SAMUEL A., is now attending Sweet Water College.
Maj. William A. McTEER, a prominent attorney of Maryville, was born in Blount County, September 16, 1843. The great-grandfather, ROBERT McTEER, came from Ireland, and located first in Mifflin County, Pa., but about 1780 came to Blount County. He served through the Revolution, and died in the eastern part of Blount County, about 1824. WILLIAM, the grandfather, was born June 14, 1780, in Blount County, served in the war of 1812, and died May 29, 1862. ANDREW B., the father, was born in Blount County, September 5, 1820. He was a farmer, and blacksmith, and was quartermaster in the Third Tennessee (Federal) Cavalry, and also adjutant, Major and Colonel in the State militia. He died June 14, 1885. The mother, NANCY (GAMBLE), a native of Blount County, still lives on the old homestead, originally consisting of 600 acres, entered by ROBERT McTEER,
part of which was entered from the North Carolina government. Our subject has many family relics in his possession, including a watch of English make, held by the family since 1750 and carried through the Revolution by ROBERT McTEER. WILLIAM A. was reared on a farm, was in a country store, and also learned the blacksmith’s trade. He was the first of his regiment, the Third Tennessee (Federal) Cavalry, sworn in, enlisting in Company A. He was made Second Lieutenant, then adjutant, and at the close held a Major’s commission. He also served on the staff of COLS. THORNBURG and PROSSER. After the war he attended Maryville College until 1867, and a year later was made clerk of the circuit court, in which capacity he served from 1868 to 1878, when he was admitted to the bar. He served in the Legislature in 1881-82. He is a director of the Bank of Maryville; is a director and also treasurer of Maryville College. Since 1878 he has been United States commissioner. In 1876 he married MARY T. WILSON, daughter of REV. D. M. WILSON, a Presbyterian minister, now of Spring City, Rhea County, Tenn. She was born in Beyroot, Syria. Our subject is an elder in the Presbyterian Church, and for several years has been superintendent of the New Providence Sabbath-school. He was president of the East Tennessee Sabbath-school Convention in 1886-87, and is vice-president, for East Tennessee, of the Tennessee State Temperance Alliance.
J. D. MILLER was born July 31, 1827, in Blount County. He is the seventh of nine children born to ANDREW and SARAH (SCOTT) MILLER. MRS. MILLER was born and raised on the farm where J. D. MILLER now resides. ANDREW MILLER was born in Virginia, and when about six years old was brought to Tennessee; settled first in Washington County, afterward in Greene County, and then in Blount County. MR. and MRS. ANDREW MILLER were of Irish descent. The former was a saddler by trade and also managed the affairs of his farm in connection with his trade. ANDREW MILLER, SR., grandfather of J. D. MILLER, was a native of Ireland and immigrated to America before the Revolutionary war, settling first in Virginia. When of age, J. D. MILLER began business for himself with some property he inherited from his father, and by his industry and good management has added considerable to what he at first received. He now owns a good farm of 260 acres of splendid land under a high state of cultivation and located on the Big Springs and Montvale Springs Road, eight miles west of Maryville. MR. MILLER is a member ofthe Presbyterian Church. He has been a ruling elder in the church ten years. He is a Republican in politics, and cast his first presidential ballot for Martin Van Buren. JAMES SCOTT, maternal grandfather of J. D. MILLER, was a native of Ireland and immigrated to Virginia, where he married and soon immigrated to Blount County, being among the first there. He was a soldier in the Indian excursion of about 1790 or 1796, commanded a regiment during that war, and was wounded at the battle fought on the Little Tennessee River.
Gen. A. J. NEFF, is a native of Preble County, Ohio, his birth occurring November 30, 1825. His parents were Virginians, the father from Botetourt and the mother from Greenbriar. When our subject was twelve years old, he removed to Indiana, where he lived until 1884, when he came to Blount County, Tenn. From 1851 to 1855, he served as prosecuting attorney of the circuit court, and in 1856 and 1857 was a member of the Indiana Legislature. In 1862, he entered the Union service as Major, and for meritorious conduct, was promoted to Lieutenant-Colonel, and Colonel by Gov. O. P. MORTON of Indiana, and to Brevet Brigadier-General, by President Andrew JOHNSON. From 1871 to 1875 he was a member of the State Senate of Indiana, and for twelve years has been engaged in journalism, first with the Manchester (Indiana) Journal, second with the Greencastle (Indiana) Times, and lastly, in June, 1884, he established the Maryville Times, of which he is yet owner and manager. For twenty-five years he has been a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. In 1852 he was united in marriage with Miss ANN H. CHAFFEE, whose father came from Connecticut and mother from New York. She has presented her husband with seven children--six boys and one girl. Two sons are the proprietors of a daily paper in Kansas City; one is a minister in Missouri and has been stationed two years in Kansas City and four years in St. Louis; one is a professor of modern languages in the De Pauw (Ind.) University, and one is city editor of the Maryville Times. Three yet reside with their parents. Mrs. NEFF has long been connected with a
number of benevolent institutions, such as the Women's Christian Temperance Union, Women's Foreign Missions, etc.
W. T. PARHAM, proprietor of the Maryville Woolen-Mills, was born in Knoxville, Tenn., in February 1833. Since September, 1865, he has been in Maryville, first in the mercantile trade; but after his purchase of the grist and woolen-mills, in 1876, he has, since April, 1877, been sole manager of the same. They have three looms, one set of forty-inch cards, and 260 spindles, but he now has forty-four looms and 908 spindles, using both steam and water-power, manufacturing jeans, linseys, cassimeres, flannels, blankets and yarns--the first mentioned being a specialty; and with such a reputation that his sales are now a year in advance. The first year of his management he consumed 7,000 pounds of wool; the second year, 13,000 pounds; in 1886, 120,000 pounds, and in 1887 about 150,000 pounds, the carding and spinning departments being operated day and night. He employ sabout sixty hands. From 1848 to 1853 he worked at the harness trade in Knoxville, and until 1861 in mercantile life in the same place. He then conducted a store at Danville, Ky., and one at Clarksville, Tennessee for two years. He then sold goods at Knoxville until he came to Maryville. In 1858 he married M. J. SNODDY, a native of Knox County. Seven of their nine children are living. She died in December, 1882. His father, E. N.,resides in Knox County and is a native of North Carolina. From his youth he has followed merchandising in Knox County but retired from active business in 1878. The mother, Mary (DUNN), is a native of Sevier County. Our subject is the eldest child of one son and four daughters, two of the latter being deceased. His ancestors are of English descent.
Sam P. ROWAN, attorney and counselor at law, was born in Blount County in 1838 and raised on a farm five miles east of Maryville. He was educated principally in Porter Academy and Maryville College. He read law from 1860 until 1862, when he entered the Federal Army and served as Captain in the Second Tennessee (Union) Cavalry until the spring of 1864, when, on account of bad health, he resigned. He was admitted to the bar in 1865, at Maryville,Tenn., and has practiced his profession there ever since. He was a memberof the Legislature of 1885-86 as senator from the Sixth Senatorial District.His ancestry is of the old Scotch-Irish stock which first settled in Virginia, the Carolinas, and Tennessee. His two grandfathers, George BERRY and Samuel ROWAN, came from Virginia, the former about the year 1792 and the latter a few years after. They both died in Blount County.
A. J. TAYLOR, a physician and farmer, was born January 3, 1831, in Washington County, Tenn., but from his infancy until 1853, he was partly raised in Greene County and partly in Cocke County. He came to his present home in1853. He studied medicine with his brother, Dr. A. L. TAYLOR, and in 1856 began the practice of medicine where he now lives, and always with splendid success as a physician and financier. His years and susceptibility to exposure have compelled him to strive to withdraw from practice as much as possible. In 1862 he entered the First Tennessee Cavalry (United States army), and was afterward transferred to the Third Tennessee. He served until the summerof 1863, when, on account of ill health, he was forced to withdraw from the army. He was engaged during all his service as contract surgeon. December 28, 1870, he married Martha J., daughter of John and Anna (THOMAS) BREAKBILL, both of Dutch origin. She was born and reared in Blount County. Their children are Nancy A. (Now Mrs. BOGLE), John S., Ira A., Andrew J., Mary J. and Clifford A. The family are members of the Missionary Baptist Church. The Doctor is a Republican, and cast his first vote for Pierce. He was school commissioner two years, and is a prominent man in his community. He is the youngest of nine children of John W. and Mary (BRITT) TAYLOR, both born on the Nero River, West Virginia, the former of English and the latter of Irish-English origin, and residents of Washington County, Tenn., from a very early age, but moved to Greene County when our subject was an infant. The grandfather's name was William TAYLOR. Beginning in very limited circumstances, Dr. TAYLOR now owns 316 acres, part of which is highly cultivated, and located eleven miles east of Maryville.
F. P. TOOF, manufacturer of cotton
goods, Rockford, Blount Co., Tenn., was born April 2, 1857, in
Salisbury, Litchfield Co., Conn., and when nine years old moved to
Slatersville, R. I. He worked in various cotton factories
throughout New England until nineteen years of age. He then went
to Nashville,Tenn., and became overseer of several factories
there. In the spring of1880 he went to Atlanta and had the
supervision of the Atlanta Cotton Mills' weaving department, when
he then bought a half interest in the Rockford Cotton Mills, in
partnership with H. M. WILSON, of Knoxville, under the firm name
of F. P. TOOF & Co. Since March, 1887, he has been sole
owner. He has more than doubled the capacity of the mills
and increased their business. February 18, 1880, he married
Mary WHITE, of Nashville, since her infancy, but born in
Cincinnati, Ohio. Their children are Edward and Catherine E.
Mrs. TOOF is a Catholic and of Italian descent, while our
subject's ancestors are of Holland stock and have been residents
of New York State for over two centuries. He is a Knight of
Pythias and a Mason. He is a self-made man, who has educated
himself by home reading and study. He began work, when nine
years old, in the famous Forestdale Manufacturing Company's
factory at Slatersville, R. I., and he has gained his all by his
own energetic efforts and abilities. He is a staunch
Democrat, so reared from the cradle. He was made postmaster
in the fall of 1885.
R. F. WALKER, a retired farmer
and respected citizen of Maryville, was born in Blount County
February 25, 1818. He was reared on a farm and educated in the
country schools. He left home in 1858 and married Margaret
Euphemia McCONNELL, a native of the County. Their children are
Laura (now Mrs. McBATH, of this county), Robert Sanford, and
Jennie, the last mentioned of whom is an accomplished artist of
considerable talent. Several of her painted landscapes
would do no discredit to a master hand. After marriage he
farmed the home place which he and his mother had purchased, and
after they sold that, he bought a farm near Maryville in
1872. Since March 1886, he has lived in town. He is
a trustee of the Maryville City Mills. His grandfather, John WALKER, came to North
Carolina from Ireland and served in the Revolution. The father
of our subject was born in Pennsylvania, and the family moved to
Blount County, where the grandfather soon died. David, the
father, married Jane JOHNSON, a native of South Carolina. They
died in this county about 1864 and 1855, respectively. The
father was a farmer. Our subject was the fifth child of
five sons and five daughters, of whom three of the former and
one of the latter are living.
The TNGenWeb Project makes no claims
or estimates of the validity ofthe information submitted and
reminds you that each new piece of information must be researched
and proved or disproved by weight of evidence . These must be
considered in the era that they were written. You are
welcome to copy information found at the Blount County TNGenWeb
site for personal use and share information with other researchers
or genealogical organizations, but this information may not be
sold or used in a commercial project without expressed permission.
The Host for the Blount County Genealogical Page is Cecil Stockton
Page was last updated May 11, 1999.
This Website Has Been Generously Hosted By USGenNet Since 1999
We Thank Them